The Hong Kong Society of Wargamers Forum

HKSW Forums
 Calendar •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to hksw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Survey Star Wars Imperial Assault Skirmish tournament 2017
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm 

Dear All,

Will plan for The Star Wars: Imperial Assault Tournament of 2017 will be held on second meeting of April, 2017.

Venue : TBE

1. Tournament Objective

The objective of this tournament is not to determine who the best general is, but to generate battles for board wargamers to play a series of friendly games with each other for fun without too much stress.

The secondary objective is to promote Star Wars: Imperial Assault games in our Society as well as in Hong Kong. The third objective, which is often mentioned by all tournament players around the world, is to make this a valuable learning experience for all players and for players to make new friendships and meet new opponents they can play regularly throughout the year.

2. Detail Tournament Rules
Number of participants: Up to 16

Format: If there are no more than 8 participants, three (3) rounds of Swiss System will be used; if there are more than 8 participants, four (4) rounds of Swiss System will be used.

the top scorer of tournament points will be the Champion.

If there is any doubt, we following the rule of :
the latest edition (Version 2.0.1 effective on 23/1/2017) of the Star Wars : Imperial Assault Tournament Regulations will be in full force.
(available at : https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... ersion.pdf).

Please refer to OFFICIAL FAQ Version 2.2 Effective on 18/7/2016
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... aq_v22.pdf
Players do not need to submit an army list, but they cannot change their army in this tournament.

Time: From 13:00 to 19:00

this is NOT an open competition.We welcome players from Hong Kong and overseas, however you need to join the Society before the tournament.

All member Please comment about of this tournament before, 22 March 2017.

Christopher Chu

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Survey Star Wars Imperial Assault Skirmish tournament 20
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:27 pm 

Although I am not going to join this year's SWIAS Tournament, but I (as the Members Co-ordinator) would suggest the following administrative details should be added to avoid possible dispute later:

I. The Society's General Competition Rules applies
The following general competition rules take effect as from 2016 Annual General Meeting for all the competitions organised by The Hong Kong Society of Wargamers:

Trophies for the Competitions
(I understand someone will sponsor the trophy for this competition, therefore the requirement that if there is less than 6 FULLY PAID-UP MEMBERS participants, then there will be no trophy DO NOT APPLY. Based on that assumptions, ...)

(1) All games should be played with sportsmanship.

(2) The objective of the competitions is not to determine who is the best player, but for our members to get together to play friendly games with each other for fun without too many stress. As an encouragement to their participations, trophy will be given to the Winner of the competition only (unless the additional trophies are fully sponsored by sponsors).

Members can participate in more than one competition in this year, though only one trophy wil be awarded in case he wins more than one competitions. Of course, we shall indicate his achievements by choosing the right wordings to be inscribed on his trophy where applicable.

(3) The Umpire's Decision is final.

(4) In case if any participants are allowed to participate in the same knock-out competition a second time, it will be on the understanding that they can't win the prize in the competition (unless they have already won something before eliminated in the earlier round).
UNQUOTE

II. Entrance fee (Based on the assumption that no additional fee will be levied for HKSW member to join this competition, otherwise, pls let us know the details of the aforesaid fee):
(a) free to fully paid-up HKSW member but he/she needs to pay the door fee for the meeting (i.e. HK$70).
(b) Non HKSW member can join the Society as member to participate in the tournament on the day of the competition. i.e. HKD70 joining fee (for the Society's T-shirt) + HKD20 (being pro-rata annual subscription paid up to April, 2017) + HKD70 door fee for the meeting (no waiver for first time visitor) = HKD160.

III. CONFLICT OF INTEREST AND COMPLAINT ON ORGANISER
(1) How can we handle the conflict of interest issue should the organiser himself/herself participates in this competition?
(2) To whom can the complainant complain to if he/she is not satisfied with the judgement of the organiser on the ground that there is a conflict of interest exist impairing the organiser's judgement.

With Best Regards,

Lawrence Ho
Members Co-ordinator

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:05 pm 

Dear Chu,

I would suggest you add the following clause:

2.1 Number of participants:
Up to 16. The organizers may also participate in the tournament. To avoid possible conflict of interest which may impair the organizer's judgment should he also enters the tournament, one of our Committee member (who does not participate in the tournament) will become the judge in this case.

James

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am 

I would also suggest that this competition is NOT an official FFG competition and thus non-official product such as 3 parties token, dices, terrain and etc, should be allowed to use. Figures can be painted or not painted.

However, in order to respect copyright and protect intellectual property, illegal copy of gaming items such as Command Cards, Deployment Cards and etc, should NOT be allowed to be used in the competition.

Moreover I would suggest that this is an one-on-one competition and no team play should be allowed.

James

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm 

Well, that means Albert cannot team up with Justin, Ken cannot team up with his son, David Galt cannot help his son, our ex Chairman cannot help new member, ..... a long list truncated.

This is definitely not the HKSW tradition and value. I shall make sure the WARGAMING PUBLIC, NOT JUST our members ONLY, aware of the proposed change (yes, it is a change of the past HKSW competition rules) and that we have to part with our good tradition of EMPHASIS PARTICIPATIONS, CARING FOR MEMBERS, BUT NOT A FIGHT CLUB FOR BOXERS if the proposal get passed.

Lawrence Ho
MEMBERS CO-ORDINATOR
THE HONG KONG SOCIETY OF WARGAMERS

james918 wrote:
I would also suggest that this competition is NOT an official FFG competition and thus non-official product such as 3 parties token, dices, terrain and etc, should be allowed to use. Figures can be painted or not painted.

However, in order to respect copyright and protect intellectual property, illegal copy of gaming items such as Command Cards, Deployment Cards and etc, should NOT be allowed to be used in the competition.

Moreover I would suggest that this is an one-on-one competition and no team play should be allowed.

James

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm 

lorricount wrote:
Well, that means Albert cannot team up with Justin, Ken cannot team up with his son, our ex Chairman cannot help new member, ..... a long list truncated.

This is definitely not the HKSW tradition and value. I shall make sure the WARGAMING PUBLIC, NOT JUST our members ONLY, aware of the proposed changes and that we have to part with our good tradition.

james918 wrote:

James

I will support Chu to organize a Imperial Assault Double in the near future.

James

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm 

I am happy to agree to the rule of official cards, etc, only. But I would like to clarify the ruling on figures that have had their card text changed by errata, such as the Royal Guard. As there are no updated versions of the card available to buy officially (though some that have been released to competition winners are subsequently sold on eBay), how would we handle this in the tournament? Should we just bring the original card, and refer to the errata sheet? Or is it OK to bring a print out of the card with the updated text? Of course, this only applies to figure cards, which are always face up and viewable by all players.

Thanks,
Jim

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm 

I think we should print out the card with the updated text which is more convenient. Last year we are doing so. In fact I have printed the update cards for some of us to be used in last year's tournament.

Christopher Chu, the organiser will have regards on your view for reason of practicality.

jimmcgowan wrote:
I am happy to agree to the rule of official cards, etc, only. But I would like to clarify the ruling on figures that have had their card text changed by errata, such as the Royal Guard. As there are no updated versions of the card available to buy officially (though some that have been released to competition winners are subsequently sold on eBay), how would we handle this in the tournament? Should we just bring the original card, and refer to the errata sheet? Or is it OK to bring a print out of the card with the updated text? Of course, this only applies to figure cards, which are always face up and viewable by all players.

Thanks,
Jim

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

jimmcgowan wrote:

Thanks,
Jim

Dear Jim,

I think that using the original card with errata is NOT a good way to play the game as it will slow down the flow of the game. Since the owner of the figures should already have the original card, I think it is acceptable to use print out of the card with the updated text since the owner of the figures has already respected copyright by having the original card.

The Deployement cards that involved errata are:
1) Imperial Officer;
2) Rebel Saboteur;
3) Royal Guard;
4) Leia Organa; and
5) Hired Gun.

The most important changes are involving the first 3 which has attribute changed. The last two involves change in the text. As a matter of fact I have purchased some official promo cards of the first 3 from eBay and would happy to lend those to the person who do not want to use print out copy of the revised card.

If I am using Rebel, I am able to lend out all my other deployment cards and figures to any players that in need. My command card is also more than enough to field 2-3 complete set of games. As a matter of fact I have already agreed to lend Sam my Snow troopers to him.

The above are just my suggestions and Let Christopher decide on this issue.

James

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 am 

I believe Christopher Will also agree about the conflict of interest issue is of paramount importance of a good competition, in particular, on the matter of complaining against the organiser himself if there is a conflict of interest presence as it is why he had been a victim himself when he played in an open warhammer competition in the past.

Report this post